An electrical fire forced the evacuation of Wolverine Service No. 352 last Monday in Jackson, Michigan.
The cause of the fire was determined to have been mechanical failure in its batteries.
The firefighters extinguished the blaze and removed the smoldering batteries from their compartment.
No injuries were reported. The train, en route from Chicago to Pontiac, Michigan, had 153 passengers and crew members on board.
Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said the train was delayed by 39 minutes before it continued eastward. Magliari said the car in question will be repaired.