A mural inside observation-lounge Saint Lucie Sound is being restored by the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad in cooperation with the ICA Art Conservation.
The mural restoration is part of an on-going rehabilitation of the former Florida East Coast car that began in 2014.
The mural was discovered as workers were restoring the car’s bar area. Beneath the carpet covering the bar was a linoleum mural depicting Native Americans.
The creator of the mural is unknown, but it is believed to be original to the car, which was built by the Budd Company in 1946.
CVSR estimates that volunteers have spent more than 80 hours removing glue from the mural.
Layers of glue had damaged the mural, but most of it remains in place.
Saint Lucie Sound was donated to the CVSR in 1995 by the Haslinger family.
The car has had multiple owners over the years and undergone several changes that have altered its original interior appearance.