Posts Tagged ‘A&BB in Barberton’

One Day in Barberton

January 8, 2021

Akron & Barberton Belt No. 28 is a Baldwin Lima Hamilton S12 switcher. It is shown at the diesel facility in Barberton in the late 1960s/early 1970s. The line of tank cars on the right is on/along the A&BB line that ran to Copley. The cars may be on a siding for the Babcock and Wilcox Company.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision

December 2, 2020

Precision National geep No. 1703 was on lease to the Akron & Barberton Belt when the photographer caught up with it at the engine facility in Barberton on March 19, 1977.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

With a Little Help From a Leaser

November 13, 2020

A leased Morrison Knudsen GP7 pulls a train on the Akron & Barberton Belt in Barberton on Aug. 11, 1981. No. 4302 was built for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie. Not the A&BB caboose in the consist.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

It Had a Long Life on the A&BB

November 5, 2020

Baldwin Locomotive Works built S12 No. 27 new for the Akron & Barberton Belt in May 1951. The switcher would toil for the belt line railroad for two decades before being scraped in March 1972. It is shown working in Barberton in late 1967 or January 1968.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision

June 9, 2020

In 1972 the Akron & Barberton Belt acquired refurbished GP7 locomotives from Precision National, a locomotive leasing company, to replace worn out early generation A&BB diesels.

A&BB No. 4201 was the one of two PN locomotives to receive an A&BB emblem. It is was affixed below the cabs windows on both side.

The 4201 is shown with A&BB caboose No. 1 and a short train in Barberton in mid-1981.

Photograph by Robert Farkas