Posts Tagged ‘Akron & Barberton Belt Railroad’

Working With Precision in Barberton

July 21, 2021

In 1972 the Akron & Barberton Belt leased from Precision National some rebuilt GP7s. No. 4201 is in shown in Barberton on Oct. 10, 1980. No. 4201 was one of just two A&BB locomotives to receive an emblem, which is slightly visible beneath the windows. The Geeps were brought in to replace worn out Alco and Baldwin units.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

One Day in Barberton

January 8, 2021

Akron & Barberton Belt No. 28 is a Baldwin Lima Hamilton S12 switcher. It is shown at the diesel facility in Barberton in the late 1960s/early 1970s. The line of tank cars on the right is on/along the A&BB line that ran to Copley. The cars may be on a siding for the Babcock and Wilcox Company.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision

December 2, 2020

Precision National geep No. 1703 was on lease to the Akron & Barberton Belt when the photographer caught up with it at the engine facility in Barberton on March 19, 1977.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

With a Little Help From a Leaser

November 13, 2020

A leased Morrison Knudsen GP7 pulls a train on the Akron & Barberton Belt in Barberton on Aug. 11, 1981. No. 4302 was built for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie. Not the A&BB caboose in the consist.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

It Had a Long Life on the A&BB

November 5, 2020

Baldwin Locomotive Works built S12 No. 27 new for the Akron & Barberton Belt in May 1951. The switcher would toil for the belt line railroad for two decades before being scraped in March 1972. It is shown working in Barberton in late 1967 or January 1968.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Rail to Trail Project gets City of Akron Grant

September 22, 2020

This former A&BB elevated line will become part of a trail being developed in Akron.

A rails to trail project has received a $75,000 grant from the Akron City Council to match a grant being offered by the Ohio and Erie Canalway Coalition.

The trail, to be known as the Rubber City Heritage Trail, will use a portion of abandoned Akron & Barberton Belt right of way.

The location extends from near River Street from Third Avenue to Exchange Street.

The right of way is elevated and the Erie Canalway Coalition said the trail will resemble the High Line in New York City that is also built on an abandoned elevated railroad right of way.

The Akron trail will be 10 feet in width and designed to accommodate hiking and biking.

The trail is being designed in phases and will eventually extend from the Middlebury neighborhood to the University of Akron, downtown Akron, Summit Lake and the Kenmore neighborhoods.

Work is expected to take eight to 10 years to complete with the first phase opening in 2022.

The A&BB line once served tire makers Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Firestone and General.

The city now owns the railroad right of way being developed into a trail and  was last used for rail operations more than a decade ago.

An A&BB Switcher at Work

August 20, 2020

Akron & Barberton Belt Alco S12 No. 28 is in Barberton in December 1966. It looks like No. 28 is switching the big PPG/Columbia Chemical yard, which today is a park.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Patriotic Display

July 28, 2020

Babcock and Wilcox No. 1776 was put on display on the Akron & Barberton Belt in Barberton in June 1976. The unit was one of five Baldwin Lima Hamilton/Whitcomb S-3 switchers built.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision

June 9, 2020

In 1972 the Akron & Barberton Belt acquired refurbished GP7 locomotives from Precision National, a locomotive leasing company, to replace worn out early generation A&BB diesels.

A&BB No. 4201 was the one of two PN locomotives to receive an A&BB emblem. It is was affixed below the cabs windows on both side.

The 4201 is shown with A&BB caboose No. 1 and a short train in Barberton in mid-1981.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

N&W on the A&BB

April 24, 2020

After the Norfolk & Western acquired the Akron, Canton & Youngstown in 1964 it also inherited AC&Y’s ownership share of the Akron & Barberton Belt.

After the A&BB retired its own Baldwin-built diesels, it often leased locomotives from its owners, including AC&Y, N&W, Baltimore & Ohio, Penn Central and the Pennsylvania.

That was how N&W RS3 No. 2541 came to the A&BB.

This former Nickel Plate Road unit is shown in a image scanned from an Agfachrome slide in Akron in September 1972. The area to the left is now Cotter Merchandise Storage.

Photograph by Robert Farkas