Posts Tagged ‘Akron Railroad Club’

In the September ARRC eBulletin

September 18, 2017

The September 2017 issue of the Akron Railroad Club eBulletin features a tribute to the late Jerry Joe Jacobson.

Jacobson, 74, died on Sept. 13 after a long illness and was a lifetime member of the Akron Railroad Club. He was the best friend the club ever had and we would not be the organization we are today without his generosity in allowing us to sell tickets for various steam excursions in order to raise money.

The tribute to Jerry includes an overview of his life, a personal tribute written by ARRC member Paul Woodring, and a story Jerry and the ARRC.

This month’s issue also has report from our picnic in the Valley held this past Sunday and a wrapup of our day in Vermilion held last month.

To obtain a copy of the eBulletin or to subscribe, send an email message to csanders429@aol.com. Single copies and subscriptions are free.

Advertisements

Dillon to Present at Next ARRC Meeting

September 18, 2017

Todd Dillon will present a digital program at the September Akron Railroad Club meeting on Friday (Sept. 22).

Dillon, who was appointed vice president earlier this year, will feature images made on the Fort Wayne Line of Norfolk Southern.

It’s a former Pennsylvania Railroad mainline so we can expect to see the NS Pennsy heritage locomotive on the ex-PRR rails.

Todd’s program will also feature images that play on the theme of water.

The meeting will begin with a short business meeting at 8 p.m. followed by the program at approximately 8:30 p.m. The club meets at the New Horizons Christian Church, 290 Darrow Road, in Akron.

Following the meeting, some members gather at the Eat ‘n Park restaurant at Howe and Main streets in Cuyahoga Falls for a late dinner, dessert or an early breakfast.

Visitors are always welcome at Akron Railroad Club meetings.

Wonderful Day for a Picnic and Steam

September 18, 2017

The photo line is out as Nickel Plate Road No. 765 passes the Valley Picnic Area en route back to Akron with the first excursion of the day.

It was a perfect day for a picnic. Under sunny skies with temperatures in the upper 70s, 17 Akron Railroad Club members and guests descended on the Valley Picnic Area in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park to watch Nickel Plate Road 2-8-4 No. 765 pass by four times as it carried excursionists out of Akron on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad.

The Berkshire locomotive built in Lima, Ohio, performed flawlessly and cameras were out to record its passage.

At least one ARRC member, Vice President Emeritus J. Gary Dillon, was aboard the train, riding in car 165 on the afternoon trip with his niece Lisa.

As always, Chef Martè fired up the grill and served up hamburgers and hot dogs.

It was the second time the ARRC has held a September picnic in the CVNP in conjunction with a visit by the 765.

Last year we also held a picnic at the same location when the 765 was operating as the 767. Attendance at that picnic was 27 and may have been boosted by the novelty factor of NKP 765 operating with a different number.

We observed that there didn’t seem to be quite as many photographers out chasing the 765 as there had been last year or in some previous years.

To be sure, there were still a lot of people in the park with cameras. But the posse chasing 765 along Riverview Road as the steam train passed by wasn’t as long as in previous years and we didn’t recognize anyone we knew.

However, the steam trains appeared to be well patronized and as in past years the premium seats in the open window and dome cars were sold out.

Between runs of the steam train we also observed the passage of the regular CVSR train, the National Park Scenic, three times.

It had FPA-4 No. 6771 on the north end and Alco C424 No. 4241 on the south end. Most of the CVSR’s feature cars were on the steam train so the Scenic had an abbreviated consist that included a caboose.

For the record the steam train had RS18u No. 1822 on its north end.

If you missed the 765 this past weekend, it will be pulling another slate of trips on Sept. 23 out of Rockside Road station and on Sept. 24 out of Akron.

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society is paying tribute to the late Jerry Joe Jacobson, a lifetime ARRC member, by placing his name beneath the cab widows on both sides of the 765 above the number.

Jacobson, who died on Sept. 13, was the developer of the Age of Steam Roundhouse as well as a friend of the steam locomotive preservation community.

The chef has another round of burgers on the grill while hungry members go through the serving table.

When two old railroaders get together they are going to talk a little shop. Paul Woodring (left) and Bob Rohal try to solve the problems of the industry while agreeing it’s not what it used to be.

The engineer of NKP 765 gives us some whistle as the train passes the ARRC picnic. The locomotive paid tribute to Jerry Jacobson on the cab.

A few ARRC members can be seen at right photographing the northbound excursion in mid afternoon.

The sunlight was still barely over the tree line as the last excursion of the day headed for Akron along Riverview Road.

ARRC Picnic a Highball for Sunday

September 15, 2017

With the weather forecast for the weekend showing sunny skies and only a 10 percent chance of precipitation, the Akron Railroad Club will hold its picnic in the valley this Sunday (Sept. 17).

The event will be held at the Valley Picnic area south of Peninsula along Riverview Road on the west side of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad tracks.

Chef Martè (a.k.a. Marty Surdyk) will fire up the grill at approximately noon and serve up burgers and hot dogs.

The club will supply buns, condiments, and a limited supply of snacks and beverages. Members are asked to bring some side dishes and desserts.

The chef will be serving up hot food until the last passage of Nickel Plate Road No. 765, which is expected to be late afternoon.

Depending on what time you arrive, you can expect to see the 2-8-4 and its train pass the picnic site four times, twice going north and twice going south.

The excursion trains are expected to leave Akron at 11:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m., which is 20 and 25 minutes respectively after the scheduled departure of the CVSR National Park Scenic trains.

The Scenic is scheduled to arrive in Peninsula on Sunday southbound at 9:50 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. and northbound at 11:45 a.m. and 3:40 p.m.

Assuming that the NKP 765 and its train have the same running time as the Scenic of about 45 minutes to reach the picnic area, it should pass the picnic area at approximately noon and 4 p.m.

The steam trips are advertised as two-hour excursions and include a photo runby at Boston Mill station.

The southbound trips, which will have NKP 765 leading, should make their return trips between about 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. for the first trip of the day, and between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. for the second excursion.

Please note that parking at the picnic site is limited.

In Tribute to Jerry Jacobson

September 15, 2017

Jerry Jacobson was more than a member of the Akron Railroad Club. He was a friend to so many and will truly be missed.

In memory of Jerry, perhaps the members could post a favorite photo from an ARRC special or a public excursion.

Here is OHCR 6325 heading west over Ohio route 151 as she approaches Dennison, Ohio on August 13, 2004.

Article and Photograph by Robert Farkas

In Memory of Jerry Joe Jacobson

September 14, 2017

Jerry Joe Jacobson, who had a lifelong passion for steam locomotives that he generously shared with others and who was a champion of short-line railroads, has died.

Mr. Jacobson, 74, died on Wednesday at 9:15 p.m. (Sept. 13, 2017) surrounded by family members after a long illness. He had been in hospice care.

Mr. Jacobson

A life member of the Akron Railroad Club, he was the founder and chief executive officer of the Ohio Central System where he was able to indulge his steam dreams by purchasing a fleet of 10 steam locomotives, many of which were restored to working order.

Mr. Jacobson’s steam locomotives pulled excursion trains on the Ohio Central and a few pulled revenue service freight trains.

Between 1988 and 2004 the Ohio Central ran scores of steam-powered excursions ranging from the Sugarcreek-Baltic tourist trains to photo freights to side-by-side steam double and triple headers to ARRC excursions.

Thousands of passengers and trackside observers made countless memories of those trips that have been preserved in written accounts, photographs, movies and video tape.

About the time that he sold the Ohio Central on Sept. 30, 2008, to Genesee & Wyoming Industries, Mr. Jacobson began developing the Age of Steam Roundhouse on a 34-acre tract near Sugarcreek to serve as the home of his 10 steam locomotives, 22 diesel locomotives and 24 passenger cars.

Although not envisioned as a museum, the roundhouse has hosted visits by large groups and is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of another era of American railroading.

Mr. Jacobson’s passion for steam motive power began as a boy growing up in Cuyahoga Falls where he would walk or ride his bike to the Akron Division tracks of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and watch steam-powered trains pass by during the twilight of steam in Northeast Ohio.

When he was 13, a friendly crew invited him to climb into the cab of a locomotive and to take the throttle as they set off a car on June 20, 1957. He even remembered that it was B&O Mountain-type 4-8-2 No. 710.

“It was exciting,” he said years later. He vowed some day to own a steam engine and maybe even a railroad.

Mr. Jacobson wrote that what once seemed like a “never-ending steam world had, by my teenage years, become only a fond memory, recalled through photographs, film and the all-too-rare steam excursion.”

Upon graduation from high school, Mr. Jacobson was unable to land a job working for a railroad.

He joined the U.S. Army as his father had once done, serving in the 82nd Airborne Division.

“Of the many words used to describe Jerry Joe Jacobson perhaps his most favorite was ‘paratrooper;’ more specifically, Sergeant Jacobson, parachute rigger, Company B, 407 PIR, 82nd Airborne Division, U.S. Army. He continued his military service with the U.S. Army Reserve, eventually rising to the rank of Captain,” said a statement posted today on the Age of Steam Roundhouse website.

Mr. Jacobson went on to a career as a nurse-anesthetist. He studied at Kent State University for two years and later received a degree in anesthesia from a teaching hospital in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where he spent weekends at the steam‐powered Strasburg tourist railroad.

The AOS obit said that Mr. Jacobson came to appreciate the simple, quiet life of the surrounding Amish community in Pennsylvania.

He moved back to Ohio and began his anesthesia career in maternity suites and operating rooms at hospitals in Northeast Ohio.

He would later make his mark as the “doctor of sick railroads.”

He finally got into railroading after the State of Ohio acquired from Conrail in 1982 a 35-mile former New York Central branch line between Minerva and Hopedale.

For two years Mr. Jacobson was involved with Ohi-Rail, which operated the line. On May 1, 1984, he purchased a controlling interest in the short line, which had two diesel locomotives, two full-time employees and a roster of as-needed part-timers.

At Ohi-Rail, Mr. Jacobson honed his philosophy of short-line railroading that would later become the motto of the Ohio Central, “big enough to serve you, small enough to care.”

A year later the State of Ohio selected Mr. Jacobson to operate another cast-off short line, a former Pennsylvania Railroad branch between New Lexington and Zanesville known as the Ohio Southern.

In 1986, the Mahoning Valley Economic Development Corporation asked Mr. Jacobson to operate a 4-mile former Erie Lackawanna industrial branch that would become the Youngstown & Austintown.

That brought Mr. Jacobson’s railroad portfolio to 73 miles and five full-time employees.

It was during this era that Mr. Jacobson bought his first steam locomotive, a Baldwin 0-6-0 from Jackson Iron & Steel in Jackson, Ohio.

By the late 1980s, Norfolk Southern was divesting its former Nickel Plate Road branches in southern Ohio, some of which had been part of the original Wheeling & Lake Erie.

Mr. Jacobson negotiated with NS for two years before he was able to buy the 71-mile Zanesville line (Zanesville-Harmon) on April 16, 1988.

He named it the Ohio Central Railroad and it would become the centerpiece of the Ohio Central System.

The line had several freight customers who required daily switching that NS was not willing to provide, but Mr. Jacobson was.

Mr. Jacobson sold his interest in Ohi-Rail and focused on rebuilding the OC. He acquired 22 miles of trackage rights over the CL&W Subdivision of CSX – now owned by R.J. Corman – between North Beach City and Warwick.

The OC expanded in 1990 when Mr. Jacobson became the operator of the former Pennsy Panhandle mainline between Columbus and Mingo Junction.

OC formed a subsidiary, the Columbus & Ohio River Railroad, to operate this property.

Mr. Jacobson continued to acquire short-line railroads and at its peak the OC system included 486 miles operated by 10 railroads in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The OC was based in Coshocton, Ohio, where Mr. Jacobson built an office building on Paper Mill Road and a locomotive shop at Morgan Run east of town.

As Mr. Jacobson’s railroad empire grew, so did his steam locomotive fleet. He traded his 0-6-0 Baldwin to Steamtown USA in 1986 for ex-Canadian National 4-6-0 No. 1551.

In October 1988, No. 1551 was steamed up and soon began pulling OC excursion trains.

No. 1551 was the primary motive power on the 7-mile Sugarcreek-Baltic tourist trains that began in summer 1989.

It was a family affair with Mr. Jacobson’s wife, Laura, selling tickets and running the gift shop while his son, Joe, worked as a trainman and manned a snack bar at the Sugarcreek station.

The Sugarcreek-Baltic train operated four times a day, but not on Sunday in deference to the beliefs of the large Amish population in the region that Sunday was the Lord’s Day.

Other locomotives that Mr. Jacobson acquired included Alco 2-8-0 No 13 (former Buffalo Creek & Gauley); 4-6-2 No. 1293, a Pacific-type built for Canadian Pacific by Canadian Locomotive Company; 4-8-4 No. 6325, an Alco Northern type that was built for the Grand Trunk Western; 2-8-0 No. 33, a Consolidation type that once ran on the Lake Superior & Ishpeming in Michigan’s upper peninsula; and 0-4-OT No. 3, another Alco that once worked on the W&LE.

Nos. 6325 and 1293 became mainstays in OC excursion service.

Mr. Jacobson and the OC sponsored a 1997 rail festival in Dennison that drew photographers and steam fans from as far as Germany, Japan and South America. It featured four locomotives in steam.

The Dennison steam festival was reprised in 2004 with Nos. 1293 and 6325 playing a starring role.

During the years that Mr. Jacobson owned the Ohio Central, its employees offered special instruction so that hundreds of Boy Scouts could earn their railroad merit badge

The railroad hosted excursions for railroad groups and historical societies; campaign trains for candidates for public office; special sightseeing and grade crossing safety excursions for government agencies; and even wedding trains so that couples could get married aboard the train.

Not long after selling the Ohio Central, Mr. Jacobson made a $10 million donation to the Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia where a barracks has been named Jacobson Hall. Two of his sons attended the academy.

He also established the Jerry & Laura Jacobson Foundation.

Work on the Age of Steam Roundhouse began in 2008 and was completed in 2012.

Designed with the appearance of a 1920s locomotive terminal, it was the first large roundhouse built in America since the Nickel Plate Road completed a facility in Calumet, Illinois, in 1951.

Mr. Jacobson had a long affiliation with the ARRC. Initially joining on March 22, 1961, Mr. Jacobson dropped out while serving in the military. He rejoined the club in October 1965.

On June 21, 1991, he offered the club a complimentary trip on his Sugarcreek tourist train. Club members later dined at the Swiss Hat restaurant in Sugarcreek and two traditions had been born.

In 1992, the ARRC Ohio Central steam excursions moved to October and the club began selling train and dinner tickets.

Proceeds from those trips helped replenish the club’s depleted treasury, which had dipped below $100 in the early 1990s. Pulling those ARRC excursions were Nos. 1551, 1293, 13 and 6325.

Nos. 1551 and 13 combined during an Oct. 15, 1994, excursion to tackle Baltic hill and nearly 700 witnessed Ohio Central’s first steam doubleheader.

Many of the ARRC trips operated between Sugarcreek and Morgan Run. A diesel might pull the train in one direction while steam pulled it in the other.

During the Morgan Run lay over, passengers explored the shops complex and viewed the array of equipment on a storage track awaiting restoration or sale.

Some trips featured Ohio Central’s “new” F9As 6307 and 6313, which Mr. Jacobson purchased from VIA Rail Canada and had repainted in a striking Tuscan red pinstripe livery that mirrored the livery of PRR passenger diesels.

The Oct. 2, 2004, trip would be the final Ohio Central steam excursion for which the ARRC could sell tickets to the public.

The Sugarcreek excursion trains had ended in 2003 and the railroad offered no public excursions in 2005. However, it operated an excursion free of charge for ARRC members and their families on Oct. 22, 2005.

On Oct. 7, 2006, Ohio Central again offered ARRC members a complimentary excursion.

An RS-18 pulled the train to Carmen and No. 1293 took the train up the Apex branch. The club’s first excursion east of Dennison featured a record seven photo runbys at five sites. It was Ohio Central’s first steam operation on the Apex branch.

Mr. Jacobson also arranged for the ARRC to have a car on Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad excursions pulled by No. 1293 in 2007 and 2008.

The club was able to sell tickets for those trips and the proceeds from the 2008 trip boosted the treasury to a record balance.

During dinner at the Swiss Hat following the 2003 excursion, the officers of the ARRC awarded Mr. Jacobson a life membership in the club.

Mr. Jacobson would occasionally attend ARRC meetings and he usually attended the December banquet.

He knew many ARRC members by name and never forgot his roots as a railfan. He was easily approachable and enjoyed sharing stories about his railroad and its steam program.

On June 1, 2013, at Mr. Jacobson’s invitation, ARRC members toured the Age of Steam Roundhouse.

Mr. Jacobson had been scheduled to present a program at the March 2016 ARRC meeting, but was unable to attend.

Instead, club members Craig Sanders and Paul Woodring gave a salute to Ohio Central steam program with still images and video.

The last ARRC event that Mr. Jacobson attended was the 2016 end of year dinner.

Mr. Jacobson was born June 27, 1943, in Jacksonville, Illinois, the son of Douglas L. and Helen R. Jacobson.

The family later moved to Cuyahoga Falls where Mr. Jacobson graduated from Cuyahoga Falls High School in 1961.

They lived on Chestnut Boulevard and Mr. Jacobson in high school was a wrestler and drummer in the band.

After his Army service, Mr. Jacobs became an anesthesiologist, working at Brentwood Hospital in Warrensville Heights and St. Thomas Hospital in Akron.

He is survived by his wife, Laura L. Jacobson and his children; sons Joe, Jesse and Jay, and daughters Julie Jenifer and Jana. Details about services are pending.

ARRC to Have Picnic During NKP 765 Visit

September 11, 2017

Since it looks like the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad No. 1309 won’t be ready any time soon, the ARRC will have a September Steam Weekend right in our backyard.

We will again hold a picnic in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park to coincide with the visit of Nickel Plate Road No. 765.

The officers had considered holding an overnight outing in Cumberland, Maryland, to watch the former Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 No. 1309 make its first trips in September. But those have been canceled.

The ARRC picnic will be held on Sunday, Sept. 17 or 24 at the Valley Picnic Area in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park along Riverview Road south of Peninsula.

The 765 will be running out of Akron on that day and will pass the picnic site four times during the day. It will be six times if you count ferry moves.

So even if you don’t plan on chasing NKP 765 through the Valley, you can see it without all the hassles of traffic and jockeying for position with other photographers.

The weather forecast will dictate which weekend we will have the picnic. If it’s going to be nice the first weekend, then that is the day we will do it.

If we get rain the first Sunday, then we will shoot for the second Sunday. If it rains both weekends, there won’t be a picnic.

The club will provide the hamburgers and hot dogs as well as the popular condiments.

Chef Martè will have some snacks and beverages available, but it may be best to bring your own. See you in the Valley.

10 ARRC Members Make Trek to Vermilion, Amherst

August 28, 2017

Don Woods places the first burgers on the grill at the Amherst depot Saturday afternoon as Marty Surdyk watches. (Photograph by Todd Dillon)

Ten Akron Railroad Club members participated in the outing on Saturday to Vermilion and Amherst.

The day began in Vermilion at the South Street boat launch where various birds, boats and even some Norfolk Southern trains occupied our attention.

We had plenty of opportunities to photograph NS trains crossing the Vermilion River on the Chicago Line.

Although the day was sunny throughout, the wind off Lake Erie had a chill to it that was particularly noticeable when you were in the shade.

During our time at the boat launch, NS sent one eastbound through town on the former Nickel Plate Road mainline, a manifest freight on what is now called the Cleveland District.

Around mid afternoon, our host Todd Vander Sluis took a couple ARRC members in his Dodge Ram pickup truck to inspect the new connection being built from the Chicago Line to the Cleveland  District west of Vermilion near the Vermilion Country Club.

The connection will enable eastbound trains on the Chicago Line to eastward on the Cleveland District.

Progress on the project has been slow and the site looked much as it did a year ago.

The path of the connection has been graded and some panel track has been placed along it, but otherwise work seems to have stalled.

The ARRC NS heritage units curse continued. Our hopes had been raised by an online report that the Leigh Valley H unit was leading train 18A eastbound and its progression would have put it through Vermilion in early to mid afternoon.

But it turned out the 18A was headed for Bellevue. Another H unit, the Central of New Jersey, was also reported heading east on the Chicago Line in Indiana, but it was bound for Detroit.

Wouldn’t you know it that if we had been in Vermilion the next day we would have seen the Wabash H unit leading the 21G in mid to late afternoon.

Just one train had foreign power leading. An eastbound grain train was led by a pair of BNSF units.

We did spot two Kansas City Southern “Belles” trailing in the motive power consist of an eastbound manifest freight.

As the afternoon wore on, ARRC members began migrating to the restored former New York Central freight station in Amherst where Chef Martè was manning the grill for the annual summer picnic of the Forest City Division of the Railroad Enthusiasts.

The RRE had invited the ARRC to attend its picnic and partake of some burgers and hot dogs.

Alas, NS pretty much died during the picnic. By the time things picked up again, it was nearly 9 p.m. and just about everyone had gone home, was about to head home, or was on his way home.

ARRC Vermilion Outing Set for Saturday

August 23, 2017

An eastbound Norfolk Southern train crosses the bridge over the Vermilion River near the boat launchy during a previous Akron Railroad Club outing there.

The Akron Railroad Club will return to Vermilion on Saturday for another day along the Norfolk Southern Chicago Line. But this outing will feature something different.

In late afternoon we’ll travel to nearby Amherst for a picnic at the restored former New York Central depot.

Vermilion features two NS lines, the busiest of which is the ex-NYC route. Also passing through is the former Nickel Plate Road line that is now the NS Cleveland District.

The Cleveland District through Vermilion isn’t much at present as far as railroad traffic, but that is expected to change once NS completes installation of a new connection from the eastbound Chicago Line to the Cleveland District a couple of miles west of Vermilion.

Intermodal trains 205, 206, 22K and 23K are expected to be regular users of the connection.

But all of that is in the future. The Chicago Line hosts 40 to 50 trains with a traffic mix of intermodal, mixed freights, tanker trains, coal trains and even Amtrak.

We will begin our day at the boat launch located on West River Road between the two railroad bridges over the Vermilion River.

Being summer there should be ample boat traffic on the river to watch between trains.

Photographs of an eastbound on the bridge is the prized shot for this location.

Shooting a westbound these days is tough. You will need your wide-angle lens.

But don’t let that deter you from enjoying some time at the boat launch. It is an enjoyable experience.

After lunch, when the light shifts to a more westerly direction, we will move to the railfan pavilion in town.

This spot sets up well for westbounds with the city’s water tank as your backdrop.

Eastbounds can be shot with the Vermilion station that sits just to the east of the pavilion. This is also a wide-angle shot due to some pine trees along the tracks.

Still, it is a nice place to hang out and watch trains. The crossings in town are quiet zones, so there is no horn blowing.

Train crews know that the crossing protection is working if the “X” at the top of the poles at each crossing is flashing.

In late afternoon ARRC members are invited to head to the depot in Amherst, about 10 miles east of Vermilion, for dinner.

The Forest City Division of the Railroad Enthusiasts is having its annual picnic there that evening and Chef Martè, a.k.a. as Marty Surdyk, would love to grill up some burgers and dogs for you.

ARRC President Craig Sanders, who is also an RRE member, will present a program titled When the IC had a G featuring images taken on the Illinois Central Gulf in the 1970s and early 1980s.

A highlight of the program will be a cab ride aboard an ICG intermodal train from Champaign to Centralia, Illinois.

As with most ARRC activities, the event begins when the first person arrives and ends when the last one leaves. Spent a few hours or the entire day, just plan to spend Saturday, Aug. 26, in Vermilion and Amherst.

To get to the boat launch go into Vermilion on Ohio Route 60. As you enter town and after crossing the single-tracked former NKP tracks, Route 60 will make a right turn at a flashing light.

About a block to the east, Route 60 will turn left but continue straight ahead on South Street to the stop sign at West River Road.

The entrance to the boat launch is a little left of straight across from that intersection. Park at the far end of the lot near the picnic table. You will have both railroad bridges over the Vermilion River in sight.

The Railfan pavilion, known as Vermilion Mainline Rail, is on Route 60 where it crosses the NS Chicago Line at the north end of Victory Park.

From the boat launch, go back west on South Street to Route 60 north at Main Street and make a right. The pavilion is on the right just before crossing the tracks.

Conrail in Berea Cover Story of August eBulletin

August 22, 2017

When I moved to Ohio in August 1993 I set out to find a railfan spot that I had heard about while living in Pennsylvania. Berea was the epicenter of the Conrail “X” and I would quickly discover that it was as good as advertised.

But it was more than trains that made Berea a special place to be. There was a core of regulars who spent weekends in Berea and in time I got know those guys.

I’ve written about my Berea weekends in Conrail days in the cover story of the August issue of the Akron Railroad Club eBulletin.

Also in this month’s issue is a story about the July ARRC picnic at Warwick Park and information about two upcoming ARRC activities.

To request a copy of the August eBulletin or to become a subscriber, send an email to csanders429@aol.com There is no charge for back issues and the subscription is free.