Posts Tagged ‘Alco S-2 switchers’

Alco Switcher Donated to W.Va. Roundhouse

March 17, 2021

A former Baltimore & Ohio Alco S-2 switcher has been donated to the Berkeley County Roundhouse Authority in Martinsburg, West Virginia.

The authority is now seeking to raise money to pay to transport the engine from its current location in West Chester, Pennsylvania.

The switcher must be moved by truck rather than by rail at an estimated cost of $700,000.

Once it arrives in Martinsburg, the switcher will be displayed at the former B&O roundhouse there.

Built in 1949 as B&O 9115, the roundhouse authority plans to restore the unit to its as-built appearance.

The Martinsburg shops complex, which includes the roundhouse, has one of the last fully-enclosed roundhouses in existence, as well as the adjacent bridge and machine shop, frog and switch shop and blacksmith shop.

It was built between 1866 and 1872 and once included a second enclosed roundhouse that was destroyed by fire in 1990.

Contributions may be sent to the Berkeley County Roundhouse Authority, c/o Jeff Hollis, 56 Corning Way, Martinbsurg, WV 25405.