Posts Tagged ‘Bangor & Aroostook’

A BAR Two for Tuesday

March 29, 2022

Bangor & Aroostook Nos. 30, 32 and 31 were being leased by Lehigh Valley when they were found by the photographer working the yard in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on July 8, 1973. Note the plethora of fallen flag railroads represented on the boxcars in the yard.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Early Penn Central Action in Canton

December 22, 2021

It is the early Penn Central era in Canton, either late 1968 or early 1969. A westbound freight has a motive consist of Penn Central, Pennsylvania and a Bangar & Aroostook unit. This lash-up and its train are about to meet an eastbound freight.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Museum Won’t Repaint BL2s Into Monon Colors

August 12, 2021

The Monon Railroad was among a handful of operators of EMD’s BL2 locomotive.

Although an Indiana railroad museum has acquired a pair of the units it has no plans to repaint them into Monon colors.

Instead the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum plans to keep them in their Bangor & Aroostook livery because the locomotives were originally delivered to that road.

The units, Nos. 52 and 56, arrived in North Judson, Indiana, in June. They had most recently operated on the Saratoga & North Creek, a New York State tourist railroad.

No. 52 was fired up on July 14 and reportedly ran pretty well despite having sat dead for three years. The unit has a few water leads that need to be fixed.

No. 56 has electrical problems that need to be resolved but that work is not expected to begin until No. 52 is operating and gains a Federal Railroad Administration blue card.

Museum officials have received many requests that No. 52 and 56 be repainted in Monon black and gold, but they say they want to maintain the historical accuracy of the locomotives.

One Monon BL2 has survived and is in the collection of the Kentucky Railway Museum in New Haven, Kentucky. The Monon once had nine BL2 in service.

The Hoosier Valley Museum does have three pieces of former Monon equipment.

They include an SW1 switcher, steel transfer caboose 81551 and a 40-foot steel boxcar built in 1941.

BL2s Arrive at Indiana Museum

June 24, 2021

Two BL2 locomotives have arrived at an Indiana railroad museum.

The units were formerly owned by the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad and acquired by a private owner from Iowa Pacific through a bankruptcy sale.

That owner has leased the units to the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in North Judson.

The units leased by the Indiana museum wear a livery of the Saratoga & North Creek Railway, a New York tourist railroad that closed in 2018.

The BL2s arrived at the museum on June 19, delivered by the Chesapeake & Indiana Railroad.

The 1,500 horsepower EMD locomotives were built in 1949 and designed for banch line service. EMD build 59 of them.

The Hoosier Valley plans to restore both BL2s to operating condition. They will be the first EMD products to operate at the museum.

For now the locomotives will remain in their current livery.

Officials said when the BL2s arrived they found that a number board had been stolen from one unit and a marker lamp taken from the other.