Posts Tagged ‘Barberton’

One Day in Barberton

January 8, 2021

Akron & Barberton Belt No. 28 is a Baldwin Lima Hamilton S12 switcher. It is shown at the diesel facility in Barberton in the late 1960s/early 1970s. The line of tank cars on the right is on/along the A&BB line that ran to Copley. The cars may be on a siding for the Babcock and Wilcox Company.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

A Barberton Two for Tuesday

December 15, 2020

This week’s two for Tuesday finds us trackside in Barberton in two distinct eras in CSX history.

In the top image, Five CSX locomotives of varying liveries team up to pull a westbound auto rack train through Barberton on the New Castle Subdivision on Sept. 5, 2010. Lead unit 7589 is a GE C40-8 that was built in September 1989.

In the bottom image, we’ve gone back in time more than 22 years to March 11, 1988. This is a CSX train but the motive power all wears liveries of CSX predecessor railroads.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision

December 2, 2020

Precision National geep No. 1703 was on lease to the Akron & Barberton Belt when the photographer caught up with it at the engine facility in Barberton on March 19, 1977.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

With a Little Help From a Leaser

November 13, 2020

A leased Morrison Knudsen GP7 pulls a train on the Akron & Barberton Belt in Barberton on Aug. 11, 1981. No. 4302 was built for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie. Not the A&BB caboose in the consist.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Patriotic Display

July 28, 2020

Babcock and Wilcox No. 1776 was put on display on the Akron & Barberton Belt in Barberton in June 1976. The unit was one of five Baldwin Lima Hamilton/Whitcomb S-3 switchers built.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision

June 9, 2020

In 1972 the Akron & Barberton Belt acquired refurbished GP7 locomotives from Precision National, a locomotive leasing company, to replace worn out early generation A&BB diesels.

A&BB No. 4201 was the one of two PN locomotives to receive an A&BB emblem. It is was affixed below the cabs windows on both side.

The 4201 is shown with A&BB caboose No. 1 and a short train in Barberton in mid-1981.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Vestiges of the Past in These Photos

February 19, 2020

In these three images can be found many traces of the past and things that are no more.

The top image made made on May 8, 1987, in Akron. It may not be readily apparent to some that this is an eastbound CSX train.

The motive power includes Baltimore & Ohio 8593 in its Chessie System livery, a former Seaboard System unit and another Chessie locomotive.

The photographer was standing on the former right of way of the westbound Erie Railroad mainline, which by this time had been abandoned.

The middle image was made in Barberton on May 9, 1987.

The trailing unit indicates it is the early CSX era. Lead unit No. 8373 is a former Chesapeake & Ohio SD40-2 wearing its Chessie colors.

Note the bright Cyron-Trans boxcars in the consist.

The bottom image also was made in Barberton but in May 1988. Like the other Barberton image it has a Seaboard System unit in its original colors.

Photographs by Robert Farkas

At Work on the A&BB

December 11, 2019

Akron and Barberton Belt leased Precision National GP7 No. 1508 which is shown on a now-removed stretch of track in Barberton in May 1974. Now I wish I had photographed the red PPG tank car.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Pleasant Surprise

October 17, 2019

Akron & Barberton Belt GP7 No. 4201 is in Barberton, Ohio, in October 1980. It was a surprise to see A&BB’s new emblem on this leased Precision National locomotive. The 4201 was just one of two A&BB locomotives to have the emblem.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

One Day in Barberton on the A&BB

August 23, 2019

The Akron & Barberton Belt was a switching road that served all of the major railroads in Akron.

It has had a long, diverse and colorful history that continues today as the Akron Barberton Cluster Railway, a subsidiary of the Wheeling & Lake Erie.

But today we’re turning the page back to April 1983. We’re in Barberton where the A&BB was based.

Former Conrail EMD SW1500 switchers 1501 and 1502 are between assignments.

The wooden boxcar visible behind the switchers has lost its trucks and is being used as a shed.

Photograph by Robert Farkas