Posts Tagged ‘Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society’

EL Dining Cars to be Moved from Scranton

February 19, 2022

Two former Erie Lackawanna dining cars are being moved from their current home in Pennsylvania to a new museum in New York.

The cars, which are owned by the Dining Car Society, formerly known as the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society, have been based in Scranton for the past 15 years.

They will move to the Port Jervis Transportation History Center in Port Jervis, New York, sometime before the museum celebrates its grand opening over Memorial Day Weekend. 

The collection of dining cars includes, former Lackawanna No. 469 and EL No. 741.

The announcement of the move indicated that Lackawanna No. 470, will remain in Scranton and be transferred to the Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad because of its historic ties to that part of Pennsylvania.

The Dining Car Society also has sold 1970s era commuter cars, one to the New York, Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society and the other to the Port Jervis museum.

Emery Trust Makes Awards, NYC Box Car Saved

March 31, 2020

The John H. Emery Rail Heritage Trust has announced its 2020 grant awards.

Although no grants were awarded to any organizations based in Ohio, the Kentucky Railway Museum received $43,000 for firebox and boiler work on Chesapeake & Ohio 2-8-4 No. 2716.

The Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society received a $25,000 award for restoring diner 469/470.

In an unrelated development, The Wabash Valley Railroad Museum in Terre Haute, Indiana, said it will work with CSX to preserve a 98-year-old New York Central boxcar.

CSX will move the car, weather permitting, from Greencastle, Indiana, to the museum site next to CSX tracks in Terre Haute on March 31.

NYC No. 155524 was built by American Car & Foundry in 1922, rebuilt with steel sides in 1939, and placed near the NYC depot in Greencastle for storage use in 1965.

It had been ticketed to be scrapped until the Hailey Tower Historical & Technical Society, which owns the museum, was able to save it.

The Society is seeking donations to offset the $15,000 cost of moving the car and building a display track.

Donations can be made at the museum website or by mail to the Haley Tower Historical & Technical Society, P.O. Box 10291, Terre Haute, IN 47801.

Steamtown Sets Railfest Activities

August 9, 2017

Steamtown National Historic Site will be holding a Railfest weekend on Sept. 2 and 3 featuring the theme of the transition from steam to diesel.

Diesel-powered excursions to Moscow, Pennsylvania, will run both days, departing Steamtown at 12:30 p.m. and returning around 3 p.m.

Other excursions will include shorter train rides on the Scranton Limited and an expanded schedule at the Lackawanna County’s Electric City Trolley Museum.

There will also be hand car rides, blacksmithing demonstrations, locomotive shop tours, presentations from railroad publishers, preservation groups, and entertainment by local musicians and other performers.

The Erie-Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society will an evening dinner and entertainment activity during after-hours events on Friday and Saturday.

A 7,500-pound 1925-built Whitcomb gasoline-powered locomotive will be on display. It is on loan from the National Museum of Industrial History in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

The Railfest activities and programs are included in the park’s $7 daily entrance fee.

EL Group Prepares, Serves Meal in Moving Diner

April 4, 2016

Members of the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society prepared and served dinner in an EL dining car last month, the first time in more than two decades that a meal was been prepared aboard the car while it was in motion.

The diner used was No. 469, built by Budd in 1949 for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western and used on its New York-Buffalo, New York, flagship train, the Phoebe Snow.

The SociEL logo2ety served the dinner as the car was rolling on the Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad in Pennsylvania.

The dinner crowd included executives from the DLR, Norfolk Southern, Genesee Valley Transportation, and the Northeast Pennsylvania Regional Rail Authority.

Helping to prepare and serve the meal were students from the Lackawanna College culinary education department.

The EL dining car group purchased the diner in 2010 and volunteers have worked to raise money and restore the care since then.

Previously, the society had served catered meals aboard No. 469 while it was on static display. Future dinners will be hosted aboard the car to raise money for the society.

Further work is needed to make the 469 Amtrak certified so that it can travel farther distances.

The society also is eyeing restoration of dining car No. 741, a Pullman lounge-diner that was used by the Erie and later the EL.