Posts Tagged ‘GE switchers’

At Work for Timken

January 17, 2021

Timken GE 70-ton switcher 4501 is working in Canton on Feb. 4, 1978. As befits a steel company it is hauling a cut of gondolas.

Built in January 1949, the unit later was sold to the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad in Licking County out of Hebron. The Buckeye Scenic shut after its last runs in September 2007.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Back in the Weeds

June 30, 2020

You can find some amazing things tucked away in railroad dead lines or seldom-used sidings.

That was where these GE 132-ton locomotives were found.

The units are Wellsville Addison & Galeton Nos. 1800 and 1500 and they are in the dead line in Galeton, Pennsylvania, on July 26, 1973.

Both units were once owned by the Ford Motor Company.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Not What You Think of As Ohio Central

April 26, 2020

The late Jerry Jacobson was known for purchasing a wide assortment of diesel locomotives when he ran the Ohio Central System.

One of the delights of the former Akron Railroad Club steam excursions to Morgan Run was seeing what the OC had at the shops and in the nearby dead line.

Of course some of that odd ball motive power made its way out on the road pulling freight trains.

Such is the case with Ohio Central 82, an 80-ton switcher shown working  in Coshocton, Ohio, in August 1999.

This unit was built in November 1945 for the original Genesee & Wyoming and later served the Logansport & Eel River in Indiana before coming to the OC.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

 

Switchers for a Saturday

March 28, 2020

Railroad photographers are fond of coining terms that mesh well with days of the week. So you might have signal Saturday or tower Tuesday.

We’re going to carry out that theme today with a pair of switch engines to highlight our Saturday.

In the top image is Cotter Merchandise Storage’s prior switcher (unnumbered GE) is working in Akron on Nov. 13, 2009.

In the bottom image, we’ve traveled to Titusville Pennsylvania to the Oil Creek & Titusville short line railroad to view it Alco S2 No. 75.

The tourist railroad operates on former Pennsylvania Railroad tracks.

Photographs by Robert Farkas

Indiana Museum Gets Switcher

October 8, 2018

A museum in Terre Haute, Indiana, has received a switcher that was donated by Harbor Rail Services of Pasadena, California, but most recently used in Indiana.

The Wabash Valley Railroad Museum received a 1947 General Electric 45-ton, side-rod driven locomotive that was once owned by Public Service Indiana (now Duke Energy).

When it worked in Indiana, it moved hopper cars around a power generating plant.

The unit was built in Erie, Pennsylvania, and may have been used at a military installation for a while before being sold to the utility company.

It was most recently used at a rail car repair facility owned by Harbor Rail Services in Clinton, Indiana.

The locomotive, known as a little critter, is 29 feet in length and was trucked to the museum.

Changing Faces at Cotter Merchandise Storage

July 21, 2017

Cotter Merchandise Storage was using LTEX 1231 (Ex-Canadian National GMD SW1200RS) at its facility in Akron on July 18. Its 95 ton GE No. 9 (Ex-PPG in Barberton) was nowhere to be seen. In the top image, CMS 9 was working on June 28, 2017. In the next image LTEX 1231 was working there on July 18, 2017.

Photographs by Robert Farkas

 

North East, Pa., Museum Gets GE Switcher

July 27, 2016

The Lake Shore Railway Museum in North East, Pennsylvania, has received a GE 80-ton switcher that was built in 1944 for the Genesee & Wyoming Railroad and also has an Ohio connection.

Lake Shore Railway MuseumThe locomotive was transported to the museum by flat car.

Once owned by a Lordstown steel company, the locomotive was later given to the Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation.

The Youngstown museum traded it to the Pennsylvania museum.

It was the first diesel-electric locomotive owned by G&W and also served as an industrial switcher for the Kinzua Dam project on the Allegheny River near Warren, Pennsylvania.