Posts Tagged ‘GP7 locomotives’

Penn Central Geep in Akron

August 26, 2021

Penn Central GP7 No. 5673 is sitting just geographically northeast of the former Pennsylvania Railroad yard in Akron on Jan. 14, 1973. The long-removed walk bridge installed to make it easy for Firestone Tire employees to get to the streetcars and buses on the other side of the tracks is visible in this photo.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Working With Precision in Barberton

July 21, 2021

In 1972 the Akron & Barberton Belt leased from Precision National some rebuilt GP7s. No. 4201 is in shown in Barberton on Oct. 10, 1980. No. 4201 was one of just two A&BB locomotives to receive an emblem, which is slightly visible beneath the windows. The Geeps were brought in to replace worn out Alco and Baldwin units.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

A Norfolk & Western Two for Tuesday

December 29, 2020

We’re visiting Brewster during the days when the Norfolk & Western operated the former Wheeling & Lake Erie. In the top image is Alco RS11 No. 2568 in October 1979.

Below it is GP7 No. 3459 on April 21, 1980. Neither locomotive was built for the N&W. No. 2568 was a Nickel Plate Road unit while No. 3459 was built for the Wabash Railroad.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

With a Little Help From a Leaser

November 13, 2020

A leased Morrison Knudsen GP7 pulls a train on the Akron & Barberton Belt in Barberton on Aug. 11, 1981. No. 4302 was built for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie. Not the A&BB caboose in the consist.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Lined Up in Cleveland

October 22, 2020

A pair of Penn Central GP38-2 locomotives, Nos. 8015 and 8010 are in line at the Collinwood engine facility in Cleveland on May 13, 1973. Also visible is a switcher, a high-nose GP7 and the nose of an F unit at the far right. It’s the heart of the Penn Central era, but it will only last another three years before Conrail comes on the scene to take over the bankrupt PC.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Things You Don’t See Anymore

July 24, 2020

The photographer said this image is one of his favorites. It is easy to see why.

Aside from it being a very good photograph there is much to see here that you can’t see anymore.

Norfolk & Western GP7 No. 2410 is sitting with its train in Massillon on Sept. 6, 1980.

This former Nickel Plate Road unit is on tracks that were once the original Wheeling & Erie line to Toledo via Dalton.

Until the Orrville cutoff opened in 1909, this was the W&LE’s mainline from Brewster to Toledo.

The track to Dalton has since been ripped out and N&W long ago became part of Norfolk Southern.

Note the Northern Pacific boxcar back in the consist.

The track to the left is Conrail’s Fort Wayne Line. Also visible is the Tuscarawas River and the fabled curved bridge over the river built decades earlier by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Coming Out Party for NKP Geep

July 6, 2020

A former Nickel Plate Road GP7L returned to service on Independence Day on former NKP rails.

No. 426 was one of two locomotives that pulled 30-minute holiday excursion trains from downtown Noblesville, Indiana, for Nickel Plate Express, a tourist train operator.

The geep was on the north end of the train. Saturday’s runs were the first for the locomotives this year and the opening of the season for the Nickel Plate Express.

The tourist train uses 12 miles of a former NKP branch that once extended from Indianapolis to Michigan City, Indiana.

Most of the line, whose heritage includes the Lake Erie & Western, has been abandoned including the segment from Noblesville to Indianapolis.

The 426 was built by EMD in July 1953 and retired by the Norfolk & Western in 1977. It then served a number of other owners, including the Peabody Company.

It was donated to the Indiana Transportation Museum in 2001, where it received a NKP livery. The locomotive is now owned by the City of Noblesville, which took possession of it after evicting ITM from its longtime home in the city’s Forest Park.

ITM used the 426 to pull its Indiana State Fair trains and other excursions and I photographed it pulling a Fair Train in Fishers in August 2011.

Because it was on the north end of the train the light made getting good images of the 426 a tough assignment. But it was a historic moment and I did what I could.

In the top image, No. 426 is shown trailing as the excursion train comes into downtown Noblesville during a ferry move.

In the middle image, a railfan photographer races down a trail over the White River to get into position to photograph the second excursion of the day leaving Noblesville.

In the bottom photograph, No. 426 and a former Santa Fe Hi-Level car sit on the bridge over the White River.

Working With Precision

June 9, 2020

In 1972 the Akron & Barberton Belt acquired refurbished GP7 locomotives from Precision National, a locomotive leasing company, to replace worn out early generation A&BB diesels.

A&BB No. 4201 was the one of two PN locomotives to receive an A&BB emblem. It is was affixed below the cabs windows on both side.

The 4201 is shown with A&BB caboose No. 1 and a short train in Barberton in mid-1981.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Another Geep in an Out of the Way Place

May 14, 2020

If you like high hood geeps we’ve got another for you today. GP7 No. 6500 was captured at Squaw Creek Coal in Ayrshire, Indiana, on June 16, 1978.

The railroad got its start as the Squaw Creek Southern, a 21-mile Class III railroad in southwest Indiana operating on behalf of Peabody Coal.

It would later wind up on the Michigan Northern Railway and at last report was conveyed to Matt Canestrale Contracting in Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

In the Waning Days of P&LE Commuter Service

April 12, 2020

The former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie route north of Pittsburgh was a once a busy passenger artery.

Baltimore & Ohio passenger trains between Chicago and Pittsburgh used the route as did the the Erie Railroad and New York Central.

Some of those Erie trains operated between Pittsburgh and Cleveland while the Central used the P&LE for its trains to Youngstown and Ashtabula.

The P&LE had its own network of passenger trains including commuter trains that operated between College Hill station in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, and downtown Pittsburgh.

By the time P&LE GP7 No. 1501 and its largely unseen commuter train were photographed in Beaver Falls on April 23, 1983, that service was in its twilight years.

The commuter service had diminished to one roundtrip by the late 1960s although between 1979 and 1980 when a second roundtrip was ended on a reverse commute schedule.

The College Hill station was named after nearby Geneva College.

The P&LE commuter trains lasted for two more years after this image was made before being discontinued in July 1985.

There is footnote to the history of No. 1501. During the nation’s bicentennial celebration in 1976 it was painted into a bicentennial livery.

That lasted for a while before it was repainted black and gold as seen here.

Photograph by Robert Farkas