Posts Tagged ‘Grade crossing projects’

PUCO Approves Grade Crossing Projects

January 18, 2023

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has approved grade crossing projects involving two regional railroads.

The Indiana & Ohio will install flashing lights and gates and reconstruct surfaces at the U.S. 68/Broadway Street crossing in Midland and the T.R. 1497/Wilson’s Lane crossing in Berne Township.

The Midland project is fully funded by federal grants totaling $497,009, while the Berne Township project is partly funded by a federal grant of $408,836.

I&O will pay the remaining $65,689 of the project. Both projects are to be completed by Oct. 11, 2023.

Ohio South Central Railroad will install flashing lights at two crossings on Ohio Route 93 in Jackson County by Jan. 11, 2024.

PUCO is providing a grant of $7,500 for the project from the state’s Grade Crossing Protection Fund. The railroad will pay any remaining costs.

PUCO OKs 4 Grade Crossing Projects

December 23, 2022

Four grade crossing projects received approval recently by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.

CSX will install flashing lights and gates at the CR 48 crossing in Logan County by Dec. 14, 2023. Federal funds will provide $358,920 toward the project cost.

Norfolk Southern will install flashing lights and gates at the Oakwood Avenue crossing in Crawford County by Sept. 14, 2023. Federal funds will provide $403,179 for the project.

The Indiana & Ohio will install flashing lights and gates at Dayton Avenue in Fayette County. That project also involves rebuilding the crossing surface.

The work is to be completed by Dec. 14, 2023, and federal funding will pay for $371,120 of the project cost.

Michigan Southern and the Napolean, Defiance & Western will install flashing lights and gates at the West High Street crossing in Defiance County by Dec. 14, 2023.

PUCO will provide funding for 80 percent of the project cost with NDWR paying the other 20 percent.

PUCO Approves CSX Grade Crossing Upgrades

November 9, 2022

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has directed CSX to install new grade crossing equipment in Hardin County.

The Class 1 carrier will install flashing lights and gates at the crossing a Ohio Route 81 and Geneva Street in west central Ohio.

Federal funding of $472,955 will be used to pay for the project, which must be completed by Aug. 2, 2023.

PUCO Approves 2 Grade Crossing Projects

October 8, 2022

Grade crossing work was authorized this week by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio for projects in Licking and Columbiana counties.

The Columbus & Ohio River Railroad will install flashing lights and gates at the East Church Street and East Main Street grade crossings in Newark by July 5, 2023.

PUCO is providing $541,211 in federal funding for the project.

Norfolk Southern will upgrade existing lighting to LEDs at the Main Street and South Elm Street grade crossings in Columbiana by July 5, 2023.

The commission is providing $57,372 in federal funding for that work.

SEPTA Gets Grant for Grade Crossing Work

September 21, 2022

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority has received a $15 million grant for grade crossing work in Philadelphia on its commuter rail lines.

The grant was among the $59 million in grants awarded by the Federal Highway Administration’s Commuter Authority Rail Safety Improvement program.

SEPTA will use the grant to install gates and upgrade pavement markings at 22 crossings in Philadelphia and in Bucks, Delaware and Montgomery Counties on its regional commuter rail system which shares significant trackage with freight carriers.

PUCO Approves Grade Crossing Projects

August 2, 2022

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has approved grade crossing projects in four counties.

Norfolk Southern will install gates and flashing lights at the Walter Street crossing in East Liverpool. The work is to be completed by April 27, 2023, and will receive funding of $402,613.

The Wheeling & Lake Erie will install gates and flashing lights at the Eberhart Road crossing in Lawrence Township in Tuscarawas County. The work is to be completed by April 27, 2023, and receive funding of $279,697.

CSX will improve the Ohio Route 57 crossing in Grafton and the Morse Road crossing in Liberty Township in Union County.

In Grafton, CSX will reconstruct the crossing surface and upgrade the warning devices to LED lights by Jan. 27, 2023. It will receive funding of $70,480.

The Liberty Township project involves the installation of gates and flashing lights by April 27, 2023, with funding of $284,207.

In a news release, PUCO said federal grants will provide the funding for the projects.

Michigan Gov. Signs Grade Crossing Bill

April 28, 2022

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed a bill that supporters say ensures continued funding of a program to maintain adequate and functional signage and warning devices at railroad-highway grade crossings.

The legislation divides the costs of grade crossing sign upkeep and maintenance between railroad and road authorities, preventing any additional costs from being passed on to motorists, state officials said in a news release.

The Michigan Department of Transportation will conduct a study to determine traffic control device maintenance costs.

The agency also will update the fees road authorities pay railroads annually for the maintenance of active warning devices at crossings.

MDOT Awards Grade Crossing Repair Grants

December 21, 2021

Nearly $3 million in grants are being awarded by the Michigan Department of Transportation for grade crossing improvement projects in 2022.

MDOT said the grants will cover 60 percent of the funding for eligible projects with railroads responsible for the remaining 40 percent.

The funding is being awarded for projects in Allegan, Bay, Genesee, Huron, Ingham, Iosco, Kalamazoo, Kent, Livingston, Macomb, Mason, Muskegon, Newaygo, Saginaw, Shiawassee, Van Buren and Wayne counties.

MDOT said the projects range from minor asphalt repairs to installing new track and surface materials.

In a news release, MDOT said the Local Grade Crossing Surface Program is in its sixth year of operation and railroads and local road agencies will be responsible for scheduling construction.

PUCO Has Funds for Grade Crossing Projects

August 19, 2021

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has invited local governments in the state to apply for grants to improve railroad grade crossings.

In a news release, PUCO noted there are two state-funded programs that might be applicable for local communities: The state grade crossing upgrade program and the supplemental assistance program.

The state-funded crossing upgrade program enables local communities to share the cost of installing safety devices with the state and railroad or railroads.

Communities that seek grants from this program might be required to provide a small portion of the project costs.

PUCO officials said each case will be assessed on an individual basis.

PUCO Approves 2 NS Grade Crossing Projects

January 16, 2021

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has approved two grade crossing safety projects in Pike County.

Norfolk Southern will install flashing lights and gates at the Market Street and Mill Street crossings by Jan. 13, 2022. 

PUCO also directed NS to install a traffic preemption at the Market Street crossing.

Both projects will receive federal funding PUCO said in a news release.