Posts Tagged ‘Lima Locomotive Works’

Shay Locomotive Moving to Michigan

September 22, 2021

A Shay steam locomotive will be moved to Harbor Springs, Michigan, where it will be displayed in the hometown of inventor Ephiram Shay.

The locomotive is W.T. Carter & Brother Lumber 2-truck Shay No. 2. It has been on display for more than 50 years at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas.

Moving the 36-ton locomotive is expected to get underway on Oct. 6.

Shay was living in Harbor Springs in the 1870s when he created design for the Shay locomotive. Lima Locomotive Works sold more than 2,700 Shay-type locomotives.

No. 2 was built in 1907 and spent its service life in East Texas. It was donated to SFAU in 1970.

The Harbor Springs Area Historical Society plans to restore No. 2 and place it in a display building.

NKP 757 to be Acquired by Bellevue Museum

August 2, 2017

Two museums have worked out an agreement that will result in a former Nickel Plate Road steam locomotive moving to Ohio.

The Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum said this week that the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania has agreed to send it NKP No. 757.

In Bellevue, the 757 will be placed on static display. NKP 757 is a 2-8-4 Berkshire-type that was built by Lima Locomotives Works in 1944.

“We are very excited to be able to bring the 757 back to Bellevue,” said Made River museum President Chris Beamer. “The absence of a mainline steam locomotive in our collection has been something we have wanted to correct for a long time.”

No. 757 last operated on June 15, 1958. The Nickel Plate had intended to donate it to the city of Bellevue, but it lacked a suitable place to display it.

The locomotive was stored in Bellevue for several years before being donated to the Pennsylvania museum in 1966.

Moving the 757 will cost $250,000 and the Mad River museum is raising funds to pay for that. It has launched a website http://www.bringback757.org to provide further information about the fundraising campaign.

The Mad River museum has more than 50 pieces of equipment displayed or stored on 10 acres of property and five buildings. It describes itself as having the most extensive collection of NKP equipment and artifacts of any museum.

Negotiations to bring NKP 757 to Bellevue began earlier this year. The Mad River museum will own the 757 once it has been removed from its current site in Pennsylvania.

Lima Locomotive Works Featured in Exhibit

June 1, 2014

An exhibit about the Lima Locomotive Works has been opened in the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus.

The exhibit is located in the Governor Thomas Worthington Gallery and will be in place through Nov. 30.

The display was put together by the Allen County Museum and features two O-gauge models of Lima built engines:  Nickel Plate Road 779, which was the last steam locomotive produced at the LLW and is on display at Lincoln Park; and the Southern Pacific Daylight 4449, best known for its bright orange and red paint scheme.

The includes a locomotive builder’s plate, a painting of a Shay locomotive and photo reproductions from the company.

The exhibit also included a large model of an M4 Sherman Tank because the Locomotive Works produced more than 1,500 Sherman tanks during World War II.

The Worthington Gallery, which was completed in 2013, will feature exhibits from counties throughout Ohio with Allen County the third county to be featured after Hancock and Wood.

Allen County Museum Director Patricia Smith said coming up with a theme representing Allen County was difficult because the entire exhibit could not exceed two display cases measuring 28 inches wide by 55 inches tall.

The Lima Locomotive Works was selected based on its historical significance as the third largest manufacturer of steam locomotives in the U.S.

The Worthington Center Gallery is on the lower level of the Statehouse.

Lima Locomotive Photographer Thouvenin Dies

April 23, 2013

A Canton man who was the last company photographer for Lima Locomotive Works died this past Saturday.  Louis A. Thouvenin was 91.

He began his locomotive photography career working with Don Jardine, the chief photographer at Lima. Mr. Thouvenin assumed the chief photographer position after Mr. Jardine left the company when it ended steam locomotive production in 1949.

Mr. Thouvenin continued to photograph locomotives after Lima became the Lima-Hamilton Corp. He photographed all Lima-Hamilton diesel locomotives and much of the company’s shovel and crane products.

He left Lima-Hamilton after it merged in 1951 with the Baldwin Locomotive Works. Mr. Thouvenin would later work for The Timken Company in Canton for 20 years.

In an email message, John B. Corns described Mr. Thouvenin as “quite a gentlemen, with a quiet, unassuming voice and a pleasant smile. Underneath his omnipresent striped engineer’s cap Louis sported a headful of beautiful, snow-white hair. He was one of the last of the old-school photographers who knew how to work with swings and tilts, bromide paper, and dodging-and-burning. Louis will be missed by those of us who were lucky enough to have known and loved him.”

Mr. Thouvenin was born Feb. 7, 1922, in Canton Township where he lived for most of his life. He was a U.S. Army Air Corps veteran and had retired from Timken in 1985.