Posts Tagged ‘Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad’

Critters and Switchers

April 10, 2020

They seldom got out to run on the mainline, but switch engines are among some of the more interesting locomotives built.

Koppers tie plant in Orrville had this GE critter (top photograph) on the property on July 17, 1981. A few years later the plant closed and the critter was gone.

In the bottom image, Maryland & Pennsylvania SW9 No. 82 is shown at York, Pennsylvania, on Aug. 22, 1979. This unit was built for the Ma & Pa in November 1951.

Photographs by Robert Farkas

Flooding Damages Pa. Tourist Railroads

September 5, 2018

Flooding recently damaged a Pennsylvania-based tourist railroad, forcing the cancellation of Labor Day weekend activities.

Much of the damage occurred at the Muddy Creek Forks village museum of the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad.

The A.M. Grove general store, the flour mill and the museum shop building suffered water and mud damage.

Ties and lumber were carried away by the water and several pieces of rolling stock sustained water damage.

Flooding also damaged the tracks of the railroad with the worst damage occurring at Guinston Forge Road, where a 32-foot plate girder bridge was swept from its abutments.

The railroad is hoping to clean up as much damage as possible so it can continue with plans for its annual Heritage Day event on Sept. 22.

The flooding also affected the nearby Stewartstown Railroad, which saw track under water at least one location and mud and gravel deposited on the track near Shrewsbury.

Pa. Tourist RR to Buy Site for Shops, Yard

March 27, 2018

A Pennsylvania tourist railroad plans to buy property along the right of way of the former Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad to use as a shops and storage yard.

The Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society said it will purchase 6.67 acres for a site at High Rock, about half a mile north of society headquarters at Muddy Creek Forks.

The group said the location is beyond the flood plain of Muddy Creek and that it is the only location where equipment can be loaded and unloaded from road vehicles.

High Rock was a village with a general store, railroad station, creamery, cannery and a freight station nearby.

The society is raising money to buy the property and two anonymous society members have pledged to match donations dollar for dollar up to $100,000.

SW9 Donated to Pa. Tourist Railroad

March 22, 2018

A former Maryland & Pennsylvania SW9 has been donated to the Pennsylvania-based Stewartstown Railroad.

Friends of the Stewartstown Railroad, which arranged the donation, is seeking to start tourist train operations on the short line in south-central Pennsylvania.

The locomotive was donated by the York Railway Company, which operates over portions of the original “Ma & Pa.”

The diesel will be placed in storage for evaluation and repairs before being transferred to the Stewartstown.

No. 84 is a 1,200 horsepower unit built in September 1952 for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie. It also worked on the Montour Railroad before being acquired by the Maryland & Pennsylvania.

The original Stewartstown Railroad ended operations in April 2004.

Pa. Tourist Railroads Offering Joint Ticketing

July 17, 2017

Two Pennsylvania tourist line railroads are offering discounted combination tickets for passengers who ride both lines during the summer.

The participating railroads are the Ma & Pa Railroad Heritage Village and the Stewartstown Railroad, both based in York County and a 20-minute drive apart.

The joint tickets are being issued to commemorate the heritage of both railroads, a practice that was once common in the Northeast.

The Maryland & Pennsylvania dates to 1870 and once connected York with Baltimore. The Stewartstown Railroad, known as “the farmers railroad,” was built in 1885 between Stewartstown and New Freedom.

The railroads noted in a statement that both carriers were in their early years backed by local residents who saw them as a lifeline to a wider world.

The Stewartstown continues to operate from its namesake city over a portion of its original 7.4-mile line.

Volunteers on a monthly basis operate track cars run over the line to New Freedom.

The Ma & Pa is based at Muddy Creek Forks and offers motorcar excursions over 5.4 miles of the original Ma & Pa main line.

Docents in period costumes offer tours of the A.M. Grove General Store, the roller mills, grain elevator, and exhibits about the railroad and its region.