Posts Tagged ‘Penn Central F7A locomotives’

Remember Detroit Edison U Boats?

December 18, 2022

Sometimes the wayback machine turns up a photograph made by an unidentified photographer. Nonetheless, many of you will remember a time when Detroit Edison had a fleet of locomotives that pulled the coal trains feeding its power plants. They were still common sights in Northeast Ohio into the early 1990s.

This image of DEEX No. 011, a GE U40C built in 1972, was made in May 1974 in Cleveland at what appears to be Collinwood Yard. Partly visible is Penn Central F7A No. 1787, a former New York Central locomotive.

Collection of Robert Farkas

Penn Central F7A at Collinwood

October 22, 2022

Oh, how we would like to go back in time for even one day to see scenes such as this. Fortunately, we have the wayback machine to remind us what we missed. Shown is Penn Central F7A No. 176 at the Collinwood engine facility in Cleveland on Oct. 8, 1972. This unit was built for the New York Central in March 1952.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

It’s No Longer Penn Central

September 25, 2022

Appearances to the contrary, this is an early Conrail photo made in Akron. Penn Central F7A No. 1782 is westbound on June 5, 1976. Very soon the train will arrive at Conrail’s ex-Pennsylvania Railroad South Akron Yard. The unit was built by EMD in November 1951 for the New York Central.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Just Hanging Around in Collinwood

August 7, 2022

Penn Central F7As 1807 and 1756 are among several locomotives in the engine facility in Collinwood Yard in Cleveland in March 1973.

Photographs by Robert Farkas

F Units in Alliance

July 29, 2021

PC F7A No. 1703 leads a train bound for Conway Yard near Pittsburgh down the Bayard Branch in Alliance in July 1972. The 1703 was built for the New York Central in May 1951. Although the scene depicts former Pennsylvania Railroad territory, the NYC had a line that passed through Alliance.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Penn Central F Unit in Marion

October 16, 2020

Penn Central F7A No. 1743 leads an eastbound through Marion in fall 1968. Notice the Northern Pacific boxcar on a train passing on an adjacent track.

The trains are crossing the former Pennsylvania Railroad line between Sandusky and Columbus that at the time this image was made had come under Norfolk & Western ownership.

The tracks in use were a paired arrangement between PC and Erie Lackawanna as far east as Galion.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Penn Central in Twinsburg

August 13, 2020

Penn Central F7A No. 1722 is sitting in Twinsburg on Feb. 25, 1973. Notice the cab-less geep making this an A-B-A motive power set. All of that snow on the ground probably makes you feel cold.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Just Another Penn Central F Unit

June 25, 2020

If you can’t get enough of those F units from the camera of Bob Farkas, we’ve got another one for you today. Shown is Penn Central F7A No. 1683 in Cleveland on Sept. 15, 1974. It began life as New York Central 1683. It would later be renumbered by Conrail as 1798 in order to clear a roster spot for a GP15.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

Still Has That Pennsy Look

June 12, 2020

It may actually be Penn Central EMD FP7A No. 4332 but it is still wearing its Pennsylvania Railroad markings. The image was made in Collinwood Yard, a former New York Central facility, in Cleveland on Nov. 11, 1968.

In the bottom image, PC GG1 No. 4924 also still has its PRR paint as it sits in is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in the early PC era.

This may have come from the Memorial Day weekend 1969 trip that John Woodworth, Mike Ondecker, and I took. I’m not certain.

Photographs by Robert Farkas

The Old and the New Look

April 17, 2020

A pair of Penn Central F7A units that are likely a set of helpers on their way to pick up a train are shown in Canton in 1968 or 1969.

No. 1763 still wears its New York Central markings while No. 1905 has already been transformed from its Pennsylvania Railroad look into the PC livery.

Photograph by Robert Farkas