Posts Tagged ‘PRR’s Fort Pitt’

The Fort Pitt in Canton

November 4, 2020

The Fort Pitt was one of the most photographed Pennsylvania Railroad passenger trains in Northeast Ohio because of its schedule.

Most of the Pennsy’s passenger trains came through Canton and Massillon in the dark but the Fort Pitt was a daylight train from Pittsburgh to Chicago.

It is 1969 and the Fort Pitt is now a Penn Central train even though it still appears to be a PRR one.

On the point is E8A No. 4252. Built by EMD for the Pennsy in May 1952 as No. 5792, it would eventually receive a Penn Central livery as well as new number.

Amtrak would acquire the unit and renumber is 278. It would serve the nation’s intercity passenger carrier until being retired in May 1976.

In the photograph above, the photograph was standing on the eastbound passenger platform in Canton.

Photograph by Robert Farkas

The Fort Pitt Still Looked Good late in the PRR Era

March 4, 2015

img085-EditF800F

It is most likely an afternoon in late 1967 and Pennsylvania Railroad Nos. 4293 and 4255 head a westbound Fort Pitt through Canton west of WANDLE Tower.

There are four baggage cars and four passenger cars in the train. Even at this late time in PRR’s passenger service, this train looked good.

Very likely it was nearing Thanksgiving or Christmas because it was not unusual to find one baggage car and two passenger cars making up the consist.

On the right side of the image there is a railroad pole line of telegraph wires. Yes, the wires cast shadows, but that was part of railroading’s history at the time.

Thankfully, the major shadow on the building wasn’t on the locomotives.

Article and Photograph by Robert Farkas