Posts Tagged ‘Railroads of Bedford Indiana’

Indiana Monon Station at Risk

September 2, 2020

The former Monon depot in Bedford, Indiana, in July 1992. The track in the foreground connected the former Milwaukee Road with the former Monon. At the time, Soo Line operated two trains a day over this connection.

The former Monon passenger station in Bedford, Indiana, is at risk of demolition due to its dilapidated condition a preservation group has warned.

The station was built in 1926 of Indiana limestone. Bedford is the self-style “Limestone Capital of the World” and the Monon over the years shipped tons of the stone that was used to build numerous buildings across the country.

Passenger service at the depot ended in 1967, but the building housed an operator for several years afterwards.

After railroad use of the depot ended, Lawrence County officials began using it as a recycling center.

That use has since ended and the station has become a target for vandals. Deteriorating soffits are endangering the tile roof.

Community leaders and trail advocates have expressed interest in transforming the station into as a trail head for the Milwaukee Road Transportation Trailway, which is built on the former right of way of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul branch that once served Bedford.

The former Milwaukee Road passenger station has been preserved and converted into an information center, gathering space, and trail head for the Limestone Trail System.

Officials hope that saving the Monon Station could spur similar investment in the north edge of Downtown Bedford.

They have cautioned that preservation of the depot needs to occur soon before further deterioration makes preservation of the structure even more difficult and expensive.

Indiana Depot Moved to New Site in Bedford

June 10, 2016
The former Milwaukee Road passenger station in Bedford, Ind., reposes in the morning sunlight. Both the structure and the tracks are currently unused.

The former Milwaukee Road passenger station in Bedford, Indiana, reposes in the morning sunlight in May 2014. The depot was recently moved to a new location and will become a community information center.

A long-vacant Milwaukee Road passenger station in Indiana has a new home and will be repurposed into a community and tourism information center.

The depot in Bedford, Indiana, was picked up and moved to a new location at 14th and J streets. The station was moved by truck from its previous site at 10th and J streets.

The front of the limestone station now faces the street. In time, the depot will provide tourism information and a gallery providing photographs and information about the Bedford region’s limestone industry.

Efforts to save the station began 20 years ago, led by the Bedford-Urban Enterprise Association.

The group purchased the building in 1995 and later received a $245,000 grant to replace the roof, which was leaking and deteriorating.

The station has been placed on the Indiana Register of Historic Sites and Structures.

Built in 1900 by the Southern Indiana Railway, the station came under the control of the Milwaukee Road in 1921.

The line extended from Terre Haute to Westport, Indiana, and was the only route east of Chicago owned by a western railroad.

The last passenger train to serve the Bedford station was a Bedford-Terre Haute gas-electric car that made its final trips on July 15, 1950.

The tracks by the depot were most recently used by the Indiana Rail Road, but have been out of service since 2009.