A fundraising drive has been established with the goal of raising $20,000 to pay for a cosmetic restoration of Chesapeake & Ohio 2-8-4 Kanawha Class No. 2700 at the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum.
The restoration project is part of a Transportation Enhancement Local Project sponsored by the Ohio Department of Transportation.
ODOT is administering 80 percent of the funding provided by the federal government. The museum must match the remaining 20 percent of the project.
After the funds have been secured, the restoration work will go out for bid. Museum officials hope to have the work completed by 2016.
Built in 1943, the 2700 is in poor condition and has been stripped of most of its components.
“It is important to have a steam engine of this size on site in order for visitors – especially children, to understand the industrial power the railroad symbolized that not only built our nation, but helped win the war,” said museum Director Wendy Zucal. “This particular engine, built in the early 1940s, was a typical engine used during World War II. It was the first in a series of Kanawha-Class engines built for the C&O and is one of the few left today.”
For more information on the “Save Steam Engine No. 2700” campaign, go to fundly.com.